Skip to main content

"spoon." Magazine Oct. Issue SeasoningS / BEYOOOOONDS Cover Feature (2022/8/26)

The latest edition of "spoon." showcases the 2022 installment of the "Idol Search" project, which spotlights idol groups who are making their first appearances. On the cover, we have SeasoningS, a trio from the group BEYOOOOONDS, who will release their second album "BEYOOOOO2NDS" on September 28th.

BEYOOOOONDS consists of two other units, Ame no Mori Kawa Umi, who sings aggressive songs by Oomori Seiko, and CHICA#TETSU, who performs railway-themed idol songs and features a train enthusiast member. SeasoningS was formed with three later-added members and has recently garnered attention for their classical pianist, Kobayashi Honoka-san. Her piano performance is featured in their single "Eiyuu ~Waratte! Chopin Senpai~". She has become a prominent figure in the group where she is now playing a central role in BEYOOOOONDS.

In this issue, we will introduce BEYOOOOONDS, a group that is at the forefront of 2021 idols, starting with Kobayashi-san, and the group's leader/dance master, Hirai Miyo-san, as well as Satoyoshi Utano-san, who has a background in street dance and recently appeared in a TV drama. We asked the three members to talk about the group, as well as their ideal image of an idol.


("spoon." Magazine October Issue Cover Feature - SeasoningS)


--Thank you for your hard work on the shoot! I noticed that the trio Seasonings had an excellent balance in the group shot.

Satoyoshi: Thank you!

Kobayashi: We feel the same way about ourselves too.

Hirai: Although our voices and personalities are different in our songs, we are often commended by our fellow members for our cohesive performances.


--Wasn't there a time when SeasoningS didn't have a name, and the three members who eventually joined BEYOOOOONDS sang "We Need a Name!"?

Satoyoshi: For about a year, we didn't have a name, and we talked about it not just in our songs, but also during MCs. When we thought it was about time to have a name, we were surprised to find out that we already had one! While we were working hard towards the release of our new album as BEYOOOOONDS, the birth of our new unit name has given the three of us an opportunity to further strengthen our unity.


--What are the characteristics of Seasonings within BEYOOOOONDS?

Kobayashi: We're still figuring that out.

Hirai: Each unit within BEYOOOOONDS has its own unique performance style, and while we can't quite articulate ours yet, we feel that Seasonings has a different direction from the others. Ame no Mori Kawa Umi has a cool and strong performance style, while CHICA#TETSU has a cute performance style. But now that the three of us have the name SeasoningS, I think we are finally on a level playing field. It's not that there was a gap between us and other units, nor did we have any negative feelings, but with our new name, we felt like we could compete on the same level as Ame no Mori Kawa Umi and CHICA#TETSU. It has created a healthy rivalry in a good way.


--The second album, "BEYOOOOO2NDS," which is set to release on September 28th, appears to be an omnibus album for each unit, isn't it? 

Kobayashi: I'm not even sure what SeasoningS' style is anymore with the new unit song included in this album (lol). 

Satoyoshi: That's true (lol). 

Kobayashi: Takase Kurumi-chan, the leader of Ame no Mori Kawa Umi, told us that the songs of SeasoningS are too personal to be sung by BEYOOOOONDS as a group, and that it's a good balance for the three of us to sing them. I agree with her on that. The new SeasoningS song in the second album, "Get Back! Vinyl Kasa no Daibouken," is a story about a vinyl umbrella (lol). 

Satoyoshi: It's a really small world (lol). 

Kobayashi: It's something that we can do as SeasoningS, but not as BEYOOOOONDS. This song has a valedictory vibe to it. 

Satoyoshi: It also has a musical vibe. 

Kobayashi: Even before we were named SeasoningS, I personally felt that our songs had a musical vibe, starting with “We Need a Name!”. I think it's a common theme for us. 

Hirai: Compared to previous SeasoningS songs, "Get Back! Vinyl Kasa no Daibouken," has more of a BEYOOOOONDS vibe to it. It's like we're experimenting with what would happen if the three of us sang a song in BEYOOOOONDS’ style 

Kobayashi: With this song, which tells the story of a vinyl umbrella's adventure in a fanciful musical-like way, I feel like SeasoningS has entered a new realm.

 
(Hirai Miyo, Satoyoshi Utano, Kobayashi Honoka)
 

--It appears that SeasoningS had a great impact on BEYOOOOONDS, both musically and on stage, despite joining the group later. This was highlighted by Kobayashi-san's grand piano being placed at the center of the stage during the Budokan concert. 

Kobayashi: Thank you very much! Each member brings their own special skills to the group, and I hope we can continue to perform with our signature style of me playing the piano while the other two dance.


--Eiyuu ~Waratte! Chopin-senpai~" is a song that was created with Kobayashi-san in mind, right? 

Kobayashi: I feel incredibly honored that my favorite classical piece was arranged in the style of BEYOOOOONDS for this song. At first, I only played the piano parts used in the recording, but lately I've been playing parts that aren't used in the live performances too. It's fulfilling as a pianist to have my skills reflected so much in the song and to be credited as “Piano: Kobayashi Honoka”.


--Among the three members, I feel like Satoyoshi-san has a leaning towards the traditional idol route, as evidenced by your appearance in the NHK drama "Idol," is that right? 

Satoyoshi: Although I have been into street dance for a long time, I have always loved idols since I was a child and have been fascinated by the sparkling atmosphere that's different from street dance. Now that I am a real idol and have had opportunities to appear in dramas with idol themes and gain various experiences, I feel like I have a clearer idea of my ideal image of an idol and the path I want to pursue.


--What specific type of idol image do you have in mind? 

Satoyoshi: It's a bit embarrassing to say it myself (lol), but I have developed a desire to be a cute idol who captivates people through her performances. I also came to realize that polishing my performance skills alone wasn't enough, and that I needed to improve my makeup and fashion sense as well. I want to fulfill the career of an idol in my own way.


--What are your thoughts on the album, given that it resulted in a two-disc masterpiece due to the growth of each member? 

Hirai: When we released our first album, we were riding the momentum of our debut in the new Reiwa era while expanding the world of "Megane no Otoko no Ko." However, several years have passed since then, and COVID-19 pandemic has led to more individual activities for each member. Despite these challenges, we were able to unify our individual experiences and perform with all 12 members at Nippon Budokan. With that in mind, the goal of the second album was to show that every member is a main character in BEYOOOOONDS. 

Satoyoshi: Each song on the album has a skit-like dialogue part and a detailed setting. I think it's an album that showcases our musicality more than our previous work. 

Hirai: There are also plenty of songs that are relevant to the times we live in, so I'm confident that when you listen to it later, you'll recognize how hard BEYOOOOONDS worked in 2022.


--It is fascinating that there is not a single ordinary song, or rather, not a single "cookie-cutter idol" song. 

Kobayashi: When I received the songs for this album, I thought that the people who are involved in BEYOOOOONDS’ album production trusted our skills. Many of the songs were challenging, and during recording, I felt that some of them were difficult and required me to sing in ways I hadn't before. This reflects the expectations of those who trusted us, so I hope this album shows that we are not just a fun group, but also a competent Hello! Project group. 

Hirai: Fans can’t cheer at live concerts yet, but there are many songs on this album, like 'Only Lonely,' that we want everyone to sing along with. It would be very moving if we could sing together with our fans, so I hope we can make that dream a reality soon and complete the songs together.


--Lastly, can you each share your vision for the future of BEYOOOOONDS? 

Kobayashi: BEYOOOOONDS has now entered its 4th year. Before that, there were times when we weren't doing well. However, because we are close, we encouraged each other to do our best despite any anxieties we may have had. Recently, BEYOOOOONDS has developed a positive rival relationship among ourselves, “she is working hard and getting results, so I want to follow that and surpass her”. I believe we are uplifting each other, so I would like to take advantage of this healthy rivalry to improve my skills even further. I would like us to become a strong group where everyone is a center of the group, highlighting each member's special talents, such as my piano playing and Kiyono Momohime-chan’s talkbox, to make every song stand out. 

Hirai: When I first joined the group, I didn't have much confidence in myself and thought that people shouldn't pay attention to me. Even during the MV shoot for "Megane no Otoko no Ko”, I was hiding behind the other members. I felt like I didn't even know why I joined and I was so passive to the extent that I thought it would be okay not to have any singing parts because I had no expectations for myself. Recently, however, I no longer feel self-conscious about the other members, and have high expectations for my own performance. Now, I aspire to become a true professional and have our group recognized for our professionalism in all aspects of our performances, from singing and dancing to theatrical expressions. 

Satoyoshi: I'm really happy that sharing what I love has led me to acting opportunities and has allowed my character to become known. It was a turning point for me, so I want to continue to express myself and share my interests. I hope to acquire the skills needed to earn the trust of our staff, so that they will entrust me with more responsibilities within the group. With a wider range of genres featured in our latest album, I hope that our music will resonate with people who are not yet familiar with BEYOOOOONDS. I am here now because I love Hello! Project songs, so personally, I would be overjoyed if a new BEYOOOOONDS song became a beloved addition to the Hello! Project discography.



(Hirai Miyo, Kobayashi Honoka, Satoyoshi Utano from SeasoningS)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

IDOL AND READ 030: Interview with Hirai Miyo / BEYOOOOONDS (2022/3/7)

From Fantasy to Reality She loves fantasy and Takarazuka. Studied piano, ballet, dance, and vocal music from an early age. She applied to Takarazuka Music School in her first year of high school, intending to become a Takarazuka actress, but was met with setbacks when she realized the reality of the situation. However, she was brainwashed(lol) by her older sister, a Harowota, to join Hello! Project. She passed the audition and became a member of Hello! Project on her third attempt where the audition's age limit was higher.  We will tell you the remarkable story of how Hirai Miyo's "fantasy" became a "reality" and her struggles and joys in BEYOOOOONDS. ---What kind of girl were you when you were little? I was a shy girl. I was too shy to go to kindergarten and to sing songs like " Shuriken Shu Shu Shu " at the school's play. I would cling to my mother's lap and say, "I'll never do that!" (laughs)  ---So you were a typical shy p

GRIN Vol.1 “I am who I am” featuring Hirai Miyo / BEYOOOOONDS (2022/9/22)

“I am who I am.”  Vol.01 Hirai Miyo (BEYOOOOONDS) / Photographed & Written by Nao  (The truth will move one's heart. Photographer Nao captures Hirai Miyo at this moment of truth in this real documentary ) Hirai Miyo, now living her life as an idol, has her own set of ideals and conflicts. More than just an idol, she's an artistic performer. These words describe Hirai Miyo perfectly. While attending university, she auditioned for Hello! Project for the third time and debuted as BEYOOOOONDS in 2019. She has expanded her repertoire to include singing and acting in addition to dance, which has earned her recognition from the start. She says, "When I first started out, I worried a lot." While she rapidly gained prominence, she struggled to live up to her ideals. However, she kept going forward in spite of these shortcomings. I wanted to express myself, so I became an idol. “It's been three years since my debut, and I've finally come to accept myself for who I