Skip to main content

Townwork Magazine: Interview with Hirai Miyo / BEYOOOOONDS (2021/3/2)

"Even if you've failed after doing your best, things will come to you at the right time.” - Hirai Miyo 


The youngest group of Hello! Project, BEYOOOOONDS has created a unique world with their skits and comical choreography. Among the 12 members, Hirai Miyo stands out for her dancing skills. Before the release of their second single, we asked her to talk about her idol activities from a performer's perspective.


Hirai Miyo featured in Townwork Magazine
(Hirai Miyo featured in Townwork Magazine | source: website)

Apart from classical ballet, other dances were self-taught

-- About your background, you have been doing classical ballet for 14 years since you were 4 years old. How did you start?

Originally, my older sister was taking lessons but because I was very young and couldn’t be left alone at home, my mother brought me along. I don't remember this but it seems that I have said “I want to do it(ballet)”.

That's how I started to learn but I was very shy at the time and couldn't enter the lesson room for about a month. However, my ballet teacher told my mother, "She's a child who decides her own timing, so I'm sure she'll join in soon.” Sure enough, I entered the lesson room a couple of days later.

--When did you start doing hip-hop?

When I became a university student, I joined a club with my friends and did it for only half a year right before joining BEYOOOOOONDS. Classical ballet was the only dance I was trained in. For other genres, I practiced on my own by copying the choreography by my favorite dancer, Sugawara Koharu.


Failed Takarazuka and determined to become a performer in Hello! Project
Hirai Miyo featured in Townwork Magazine

--Rather than wanting to be an idol, you wanted to join Hello! Project right?

That's right. I had always liked Takarazuka and wanted to be a performer on stage. At the same time, my older sister was showing me various videos of Morning Musume and Hello! Project. Their "Help me!” MV left a deep impression on me. I thought it was cool that the idols of Hello! Project could give high quality performances in singing, dancing and acting.

I had always wanted to be a Takarazuka actress. When I was in my first year of high school, I applied to the Takarazuka Music School but failed. I had three more chances to pass the entrance exam but after failing something I’ve aimed for so long, I was heartbroken and lost my dream for the future. It was around that time when Morning Musume held their 13th gen audition.

I've been watching Morning Musume's live performance videos and thought, "I want to do this kind of dance too”. So I decided to take action and applied.

--But you failed the audition and consecutively failed the Hello! Project 20th Anniversary new member audition too.

I was already 17 years old when I failed the second audition(upper age limit was 18), so I gave up. But in the following year, the "Only You" audition upper age limit was 22. I thought if I don't try I would never have this chance again. In the application guidelines, it was written that "you must have a skill that no one else can beat" so I decided to apply with my dance skill.

--You passed the audition with flying colors but the dance in Hello! Project was different from the dance you had done before right?

I was perplexed. I’ve done classical ballet and hip-hop but I had never been exposed to any other idol-like elements in my life (laughs). To begin with, Hello! Project’s dance is a genre of its own. I joined because I was good at dancing but I couldn't dance at all.

The most unique thing was the rhythm. The members who were kenshuusei(trainees) had learned it from a young age so it wasn’t easy to copy them. When I saw the difference, I felt frustrated and wondered if I had really come to the right place.


I tried to shake off my embarrassment and master the skit as a strength.

Hirai Miyo featured in Townwork Magazine

--BEYOOOOONDS' major debut song "Megane no Otoko no Ko" starts with a skit. Just like the lyrics of one of the songs on this triple A-side single "Konna Hazu ja Nakatta!”. Did you have the same “No way!” kind of feeling?

I did (laughs). The song was already there when I joined the group but I couldn't imagine myself performing it at all, so I was like, "Where am I headed to?”(“Doko ni mukatteru no?” - lyrics of Konna Hazu ja Nakatta)

However, the nine members who have been there since the beginning of the group were doing their best in acting. Once I realized that it was more embarrassing to be embarrassed, I shook it off and did my best. Fans started saying "This is interesting", so we thought "This is our strength, so let's master it”. We became more positive and that's how we got to where we are today.

--Wasn't it a big deal that you were in charge of the opening line for "Nippon no D・N・A!”?

It was the first turning point for me. All the members recorded the "Hey YO!" part but it was the director who decided who would be in charge of it. I had been exposed to hip-hop for a period of time so my rap style is different from the rap in Hello! Project. I dared to try it in a hip-hop style and it became my part. I don't mean to sound presumptuous but I hope I was able to give it a breath of fresh air.

--It was a cool low-pitched voice that Hello! Project never had before.

I think that gave me a little confidence. I joined Hello! Project after I became a university student, which was unusual but I think I was able to make use of the music knowledge that I had gained from my normal life.

If I could hit the high notes, my singing would be recognized too.


--You joined BEYOOOOONDS with dancing skill as your weapon but your singing skills shot up too.

I loved Takarazuka and took vocal lessons but my natural voice had too narrow a range to produce high notes. I was embarrassed when my voice was all over the place during recording. I felt bad for dragging the other members down during live performances.

But when I was told, "Hirai has a very good bass so if you extend your high notes, you'll be invincible." I began to think of my voice as a weapon. I learned that the shape of your vocal cords determines your low voice but your high voice depends on your own effort, so I had no choice but to work hard and practice.

Last summer, the song "Umi no Koe" which I sang at Hello! Project concert was made into a YouTube video. I was thrilled to be the first one selected from BEYOOOOONDS. I was so happy to know that although I had joined the group as a dancer, I was also recognized as a singer.
Hirai Miyo featured in Townwork Magazine

--Did you do any special training to expand your vocal range?

There was that kind of training too but I always make sure to practice my vocal exercises before each performance(2-3 performances per day). Even when I practiced singing at home, I made sure I was aware of the purpose of what I was doing and which part of the body I’m working on. I think that led to the results.


Idols should be a source of vitality for their fans.

Hirai Miyo featured in Townwork Magazine

--As an idol who aimed to be a performer, how did you perceive events like handshake?

At first I was really nervous because I didn't think I would have any fans. However, when I heard people from various places saying "Miyo-chan I'm rooting for you", I felt lucky to be here and that’s why I had to work hard.

I believe that idols should be the ones who cheer up their fans and give them energy every day. Besides, I used to work part-time so I know the effort that fans put in to attend events. I’m prepared to treat them accordingly. 

--Have you had any crisis in your activities so far?

We were supposed to have our first solo live house tour and first hall concert at Nakano Sunplaza last spring but they were cancelled (due to the pandemic). We already had our outfits and even finished the dress rehearsal. Our first solo concert the year before had been well received by the fans. They said "I've never seen such an interesting concert" but we had created something even better this time so I felt a great sense of loss and anxiety not knowing when we could do it again. 

It was tough not seeing the members during the self-restraint period but we started a YouTube project called "Ouchi demo Beyonds Gakkou” in which each of us gave lessons on our specialties and hobbies. I filmed and edited the videos so I was able to stay busy. Thanks to this, I didn't feel so depressed.

I taught a class on classical ballet. It was fun to share this part of me with everyone, the part where I spent 14 years doing ballet. It was nice to see people commenting on how they were going to try it at home, or how their legs almost cramped up. So it made me feel like we were going through this period of self-restraint together.


"Spicy!” facial expression is also part of the choreography (laughs)

Hirai Miyo featured in Townwork Magazine

--The second triple A-side single "Gekikara LOVE" includes a Bollywood-style dance.

There were crab legs dances and many other unique choreographies but in "Gekikara LOVE" we also include facial expressions as part of the choreography. When we were doing the dance, we were told "Make a funny face here" and everyone was like "What?” (laughs). One moment we put on a serious face but the next moment we put on a happy face. Using all of our might to make funny faces is one of BEYOOOOONDS’ characteristics, so even for painful faces, we put in our best efforts (laughs).

-- Once again you’re in charge of the “Ningen” monologue in "Now Now Ningen".

I think I have a high chance of being chosen for monologues. For this song, fans said that my voice sounded very convincing. I've always wanted to play a male role in Takarazuka so I think that has helped me to deliver this monologue in a low voice.

While this is a cheering song, it also has lyrics like "Are you washing your hands properly?” which fits our current situation. Since I was given a monologue to call out these things (social distance), I felt it was my mission to deliver it.

--On New Year’s Eve, you wrote this in your blog, "It's sad that we are so afraid of getting infected that we behave in a way that will hurt others.” It led to a message like that right?

Yes, Indeed. At present times, I'm sure there will be a lot of conflicting ideas but that's not what we should be doing. I think it's also a song that says "Let's do our best in doing what we can right now" and be hopeful for the day when we can live without our masks again. 


No matter which path you take, everything happens for a reason.

--You have hobbies such as songwriting, ballpoint pen drawing, photography, etc. Have you thought about bringing them into your work?

I've been thinking, that it would be great if I could take photos of Hello! Project members and publish them in a book called "photo by Hirai Miyo". I'm still learning how to write lyrics but I only write songs when I'm stressed or depressed (laughs). When I'm feeling emotional, I write lyrics as a way to get them out. I wanted to share my feelings with others but because I feel so refreshed after writing them out, I have a lot of unfinished songs though (laughs).

--Lastly, please tell us what you think is the secret of making your dreams come true.

I failed Takarazuka and two Hello! Project auditions so I think it all comes down to timing. It may sound like a convenient thing to say but I think it's important to do your best, be patient and wait for the right moment.

You should always do your best to make your dreams come true. But don't rush it even if you don't get the outcome at the timing you wish for. Setbacks and failures are hard and painful but I believe that the right time will come. I truly feel that no matter which path you take, everything happens for a reason.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

IDOL AND READ 030: Interview with Hirai Miyo / BEYOOOOONDS (2022/3/7)

From Fantasy to Reality She loves fantasy and Takarazuka. Studied piano, ballet, dance, and vocal music from an early age. She applied to Takarazuka Music School in her first year of high school, intending to become a Takarazuka actress, but was met with setbacks when she realized the reality of the situation. However, she was brainwashed(lol) by her older sister, a Harowota, to join Hello! Project. She passed the audition and became a member of Hello! Project on her third attempt where the audition's age limit was higher.  We will tell you the remarkable story of how Hirai Miyo's "fantasy" became a "reality" and her struggles and joys in BEYOOOOONDS. ---What kind of girl were you when you were little? I was a shy girl. I was too shy to go to kindergarten and to sing songs like " Shuriken Shu Shu Shu " at the school's play. I would cling to my mother's lap and say, "I'll never do that!" (laughs)  ---So you were a typical shy p

GRIN Vol.1 “I am who I am” featuring Hirai Miyo / BEYOOOOONDS (2022/9/22)

“I am who I am.”  Vol.01 Hirai Miyo (BEYOOOOONDS) / Photographed & Written by Nao  (The truth will move one's heart. Photographer Nao captures Hirai Miyo at this moment of truth in this real documentary ) Hirai Miyo, now living her life as an idol, has her own set of ideals and conflicts. More than just an idol, she's an artistic performer. These words describe Hirai Miyo perfectly. While attending university, she auditioned for Hello! Project for the third time and debuted as BEYOOOOONDS in 2019. She has expanded her repertoire to include singing and acting in addition to dance, which has earned her recognition from the start. She says, "When I first started out, I worried a lot." While she rapidly gained prominence, she struggled to live up to her ideals. However, she kept going forward in spite of these shortcomings. I wanted to express myself, so I became an idol. “It's been three years since my debut, and I've finally come to accept myself for who I

"spoon." Magazine Oct. Issue SeasoningS / BEYOOOOONDS Cover Feature (2022/8/26)

The latest edition of "spoon." showcases the 2022 installment of the "Idol Search" project, which spotlights idol groups who are making their first appearances. On the cover, we have SeasoningS, a trio from the group BEYOOOOONDS, who will release their second album "BEYOOOOO2NDS" on September 28th. BEYOOOOONDS consists of two other units, Ame no Mori Kawa Umi, who sings aggressive songs by Oomori Seiko, and CHICA#TETSU, who performs railway-themed idol songs and features a train enthusiast member. SeasoningS was formed with three later-added members and has recently garnered attention for their classical pianist, Kobayashi Honoka-san. Her piano performance is featured in their single "Eiyuu ~Waratte! Chopin Senpai~". She has become a prominent figure in the group where she is now playing a central role in BEYOOOOONDS. In this issue, we will introduce BEYOOOOONDS, a group that is at the forefront of 2021 idols, starting with Kobayashi-san, and the