Skip to main content

Hello! Project Roundtable with Audition Alumni: Hirai Miyo's answers only (2021/2/19)

Hello! Project is holding a joint new member audition for Juice=Juice and Tsubaki Factory between January 22 and March 1, 2021. This is the first time for Juice=Juice and Tsubaki Factory to accept applications from the general public. It is also the first time in the history of Hello! Project to have a joint audition.


In commemoration of the audition, Music Natalie held a round-table talk session with current members who have joined Haropuro through auditions in the past. These members are Nonaka Miki from Morning Musume。'21, Kamikokuryo Moe from Angerme, and Hirai Miyo from BEYOOOOONDS. They are the same age as each other and excel in their respective fields of expertise. We talked about how they auditioned, their stories after joining the group, and their thoughts on Haropuro.


(T/N: This is a translation of an article that was originally published on February 19, 2021 by Music Natalie . Sorry this interview is too long so only Hirai Miyo’s answers are translated) 


How an ordinary girl joins Haropuro


─ Why did you choose Hello! Project (hereinafter referred to as "Haropuro") among the many other idols? Also, please tell us how you join the group.

Hirai Miyo: Originally I wanted to be a performer rather than an idol. In my first year of high school, I applied to Takarazuka Music School. However, under the influence of my older sister, I fell in love with Haropuro. As I learned more about the group, I realized that the quality of their singing and dancing was very high. I began to feel that I wanted to join.


─  I see.

Hirai: So I auditioned for “Morning Musume 13th gen Audition” and “Hello! Project 20th Anniversary New Member Audition” but failed both auditions. Because of my age, I gave up and went on to a normal university. However, when I saw the application guidelines for the "Only You" Audition (held in 2018), the age limit was 22 years-old. I thought I'll definitely lose out if I don't try, so I applied immediately.


─ Were there anything from the audition process that left you with an impression?

Hirai: Memories of the audition... I had always competed in dance but in the fourth round I only performed with a song. I was asked, "What? You're not going to dance today?” The question filled me with anxiety but on the flipside, I was glad that they remembered me! 


Seniors said with a smile, "It’s all right.”


─ Although you have basic singing and dancing skills, you joined the group without prior experience. What was your most memorable experience when you joined the group?

Hirai: In the case of BEYOOOOONDS, three members including myself had passed the audition. The other members were all former Haropuro trainees, so they were younger than me but senior to me in Haropuro. In the beginning, the other members were confused about how to treat us. However, Maeda Kokoro-chan who had been a trainee for a long time, took the initiative to tell us what to do before we made a mistake. Whenever we make a mistake, she will say, "I'm sorry, I didn't tell you beforehand.” She is too kind. Eventually, the group was able to benefit from the difference where the trainees and auditioners brought what they knew and what they didn’t know to each other.


─ So the members supported you right after you joined. How were the lessons?

Hirai: BEYOOOOONDS has a lot of skits so from the time I joined the group, we had to practice our articulation and acting. Even now, whenever we release a new song there will be time set aside for acting during our rehearsals(laughs). We practice many times on how to say and when to pause in our lines. 


A life I thought I'd given up on has made a comeback.


─ What made you feel glad that you joined Haropuro?

Hirai: I had given up on my dream of joining Takarazuka when I joined Haropuro, but with “Engeki Joshibu”(Haropuro’s acting club) I had the opportunity to act on stage so it was like a dream that I had once given up on came true. After receiving male roles, I studied the movements and dialogue of Takarazuka's male roles. I thought it was fate that the life I had given up made a comeback at the most unexpected place. 


Also, I used to be the type of person who couldn't really express my feelings, but the members of BEYOOOOONDS often tell each other, "That was a great performance!”, "That was so cool!”, "I love you!” and so on. Gradually, I was able to talk to them a little more. I really respect the members and I think I've changed too, in a good way.


People who have been there for me through thick and thin.


─ By the way, what do your family and people around you say about Haropuro?

Hirai: My manager gave me a lot of support. Recently, I made the same mistake I made in the past. I'm afraid that I might get in trouble again so the pressure is... (tears)


─ It's okay. Take your time to explain. 

Hirai: I had to give the same performance on the following day, but I was afraid to go on stage… My manager sent me a message saying, "Don't worry, be confident.” Thanks to that, I thought even if I cry now, tomorrow will still come so I shall do my best. In the end, the performance went well. Immediately after that, my manager told me, “I knew you could do it! But perhaps next time it will be better if you do more of this…” I feel grateful for that.


We're all so different, it's like a family.


─ You’re also a university student, how do you balance your studies?

Hirai: Since there are many students in BEYOOOOONDS, we sometimes study together in the dressing room. The other day, Nishida Shiori-chan said she didn't understand her chemistry homework so I taught her (laughs).


Both work and study are things that I can't balance in my mind, so sometimes I worry about them. However, the members worry about me and tell me to rely on them more, so now I can even whine to them. I am able to say things like, "I'm having trouble with my report right now..." or "I haven't slept at all so please let me sleep in the dressing room!” (laughs).


─ At Haropuro, you are able to work on what you like and what you want to challenge, right?

Hirai: Yes. Apart from the staff and members of the same group, the seniors from other groups are also very dependable. In December 2019, I was overwhelmed by the amount of work I had. I was so exhausted that I cried during the rehearsal for the countdown live. My seniors came up to me and asked if I was doing okay. Ishida Ayumi-san (Morning Musume。'21), who had been watching our performance backstage, gave me a hug. Inaba Manaka-san (Juice=Juice) sent me a message asking, "Miyorin, are you okay?”. Later on another day, I had dinner with Miyamoto Karin-san (ex. Juice=Juice) and talked to her about my work while crying. I think I have a close relationship with my seniors.


No matter the outcome, it is destiny.


─ In this audition, you are recruiting new members for Juice=Juice and Tsubaki Factory.

Hirai: The dressing room is always lively and interesting, isn't it? 


Both Juice=Juice’s and Tsubaki’s performances are feminine, but Juice=Juice gives off a more mature energy while Tsubaki gives off a young lady's energy. But for BEYOOOOONDS, we have many interesting songs (laughs), so I really admire both groups.


─ Both groups have different charms, and I am looking forward to seeing who will join us.

Hirai: That's right. This is a joint audition so even if you pass, you don't know which group you'll join. It may be an uneasy feeling but I've auditioned three times so far, and I'm glad that I was accepted for the "ONLY YOU" audition. It's all about timing so no matter which group you end up joining, it is destiny. I’m sure you'll be happy with the result. If you join Haropuro, you'll learn a lot and you'll be able to make the most of yourself. I hope you'll give it your all and enjoy the audition. Even if you fail, I hope you won't take that as a negative thing.






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

IDOL AND READ 030: Interview with Hirai Miyo / BEYOOOOONDS (2022/3/7)

From Fantasy to Reality She loves fantasy and Takarazuka. Studied piano, ballet, dance, and vocal music from an early age. She applied to Takarazuka Music School in her first year of high school, intending to become a Takarazuka actress, but was met with setbacks when she realized the reality of the situation. However, she was brainwashed(lol) by her older sister, a Harowota, to join Hello! Project. She passed the audition and became a member of Hello! Project on her third attempt where the audition's age limit was higher.  We will tell you the remarkable story of how Hirai Miyo's "fantasy" became a "reality" and her struggles and joys in BEYOOOOONDS. ---What kind of girl were you when you were little? I was a shy girl. I was too shy to go to kindergarten and to sing songs like " Shuriken Shu Shu Shu " at the school's play. I would cling to my mother's lap and say, "I'll never do that!" (laughs)  ---So you were a typical shy p

GRIN Vol.1 “I am who I am” featuring Hirai Miyo / BEYOOOOONDS (2022/9/22)

“I am who I am.”  Vol.01 Hirai Miyo (BEYOOOOONDS) / Photographed & Written by Nao  (The truth will move one's heart. Photographer Nao captures Hirai Miyo at this moment of truth in this real documentary ) Hirai Miyo, now living her life as an idol, has her own set of ideals and conflicts. More than just an idol, she's an artistic performer. These words describe Hirai Miyo perfectly. While attending university, she auditioned for Hello! Project for the third time and debuted as BEYOOOOONDS in 2019. She has expanded her repertoire to include singing and acting in addition to dance, which has earned her recognition from the start. She says, "When I first started out, I worried a lot." While she rapidly gained prominence, she struggled to live up to her ideals. However, she kept going forward in spite of these shortcomings. I wanted to express myself, so I became an idol. “It's been three years since my debut, and I've finally come to accept myself for who I

"spoon." Magazine Oct. Issue SeasoningS / BEYOOOOONDS Cover Feature (2022/8/26)

The latest edition of "spoon." showcases the 2022 installment of the "Idol Search" project, which spotlights idol groups who are making their first appearances. On the cover, we have SeasoningS, a trio from the group BEYOOOOONDS, who will release their second album "BEYOOOOO2NDS" on September 28th. BEYOOOOONDS consists of two other units, Ame no Mori Kawa Umi, who sings aggressive songs by Oomori Seiko, and CHICA#TETSU, who performs railway-themed idol songs and features a train enthusiast member. SeasoningS was formed with three later-added members and has recently garnered attention for their classical pianist, Kobayashi Honoka-san. Her piano performance is featured in their single "Eiyuu ~Waratte! Chopin Senpai~". She has become a prominent figure in the group where she is now playing a central role in BEYOOOOONDS. In this issue, we will introduce BEYOOOOONDS, a group that is at the forefront of 2021 idols, starting with Kobayashi-san, and the